Texas mother accused of leaving toddlers in car for fifteen hours – NY Daily News

Texas mother accused of killing two toddlers after intentionally leaving them in the car for fifteen hours

A 19-year-old Texas mother has been arrested for the deaths of her two youthfull daughters, who police said were left in the car for harshly fifteen hours.

Amanda Hawkins was charged with two counts of abandoning or endangering a child, Kerr County Sheriff W.R. Hierholzer said in a press release.

The youthfull mother brought both of her daughters to Peterson Regional Medical Center in “grave condition” Wednesday, telling doctors they collapsed after smelling flowers during an outing at Plane Rock Park.

But police, in questioning Hawkins, soon learned the she had left 1-year-old Brynn Hawkins and 2-year-old Addyson Overgard-Eddy in her SUV while she and an unidentified 16-year-old masculine spent the night with friends.

Both women were transferred to University Hospital on Thursday, where they died around five p.m.

“This is by far the most horrific case of child endangerment that I have seen in the thirty seven years that I have been in law enforcement,” Hierholzer said.

The sheriff said investigators determined Brynn and Addyson had intentionally been left in the vehicle overnight kicking off around nine p.m.

“One of them even told her they could hear the kids howling out in the car and told her to bring them in,” Hierholzer told KSAT. “And she said, ‘No, they’re fine. They’ll sob themselves to sleep.’ ”

Hawkins returned to the SUV around noon and attempted to bathe her women before determining to take them to the hospital.

Officers arrested Amanda Hawkins after she left her daughters in the car overnight while she suspended out with friends.

She did not instantly go for help because she was afraid of getting in trouble, according to the press release.

Miriam Davis — Hawkins’ friend since middle school — said she stopped spending time with the youthfull mother about a month ago because she was worried about how the toddlers were being treated. She told the news station that she even considered calling Child Protective Services.

“I guess I just hesitated for so long,” she said. “I didn’t want her to be in the system, but I didn’t know they would die if they didn’t.”

Davis, also a youthful mother, remembered Hawkins’ daughters fondly.

“Addy was so helpful. She would like to get you things and bring ’em to you,” she said. “Brynn was just learning how to walk and she was toddling all over the place.”

Hawkins was arrested in San Antonio and was being held on $70,000 bail. Her charges may be upgraded now that both ladies have died.

Related movie:

Leave a Reply